Saturday, August 11, 2012

Homemade Binoculars


About five months ago I welcomed a former student and her sister into our home.   Since their parents were unable to take care of them, my husband and I agreed to do it.  I loved them and so did my children.
My daughter Olivia became the best of friends with them, and never wanted them to leave, even though their presence had changed her life dramatically.  She now had to share her room with her brother, all her toys with the girls, and of course all the attention.  Then when my husband was deployed in the month following the addition she really clung to them.
 Well a month ago we were able to settle them into a more permanent situation with their grandmother who lives about four hours from us.  I kept Olivia busy all of July so that she wouldn’t miss them too much. Now that things are settling down she is lonely and often wishes they could come back. I asked her today, “what do you want me to do?”  She said, “bring another student home.”  Ahhh! That’s out of the question and highly unlikely so instead, she has become my assistant. She loves crafts, learning, and school and there fore is helping me come up with ideas and creating them.
Oops! You can see our mess...its a result of all day play and little cleaning!
Our project this week was these toilet paper binoculars.  We paint to toilet paper rolls black, glue them together, and hole punch the ends to tie string. 
I had a few of them from a great friend who gave them to me when I started kindergarten.  We decided we need a class set. I originally used them to go on a safari of school during the first days of kindergarten.  She and I thought up more ideas this week…and I am so proud of my girl!
·    Search out sight words
·    Play, “I spy”
·    Search for shapes
·    Search for numbers
·    Be super alert listeners.
·    Visualize far away lands for writing.
 We would love more ideas!   It will be interesting however tomorrow when we go to our neighbors and begin asking for toilet paper rolls. (I threw away my stash when I moved schools this summer)


No comments:

Post a Comment