Sunday, November 25, 2018

Behavior...Behavior...Behavior...


     They are 5 and 6, their world has just begun and now we expect them to sit down and do their work!  Forget exploring to play, forget long recess, we must learn everything in kindergarten!  No wonder our kids are struggling to behave.  Not only do many of our students face immense struggles, but we also expect them to complete developmentally inappropriate activities and act much older than they are! Kids with typical behaviors struggle to sit and kids who would struggle anyways have an even more difficult time.  As much as I would love to just go back to the old way, I cannot!  My kids still need to learn the skills and strategies they need to be successful.  A principal once told me that my class could, “sit down, be quiet, and do their work.”  That’s great some of the time, but not all the time!  Students learn by talking! I am currently working to find creative ways to let my students learn and play at the same time!  I am collecting resources from EVERYWHERE to makes sure my kids are active learners.

Click Here for Ninja Tags

   One thing I have been using for a while is Secret Ninja Badges.  I cut them up and place them in clip-on name tags.  I choose one-three kids every day during the day to be a not-so-secret ninja. The kids love getting the award and all I have to do is hold it in my hand and they start to listen quickly!  At the end of the day, they keep the tag, but I keep the name tag holder.  They also get a special treat or prize.    

No comments:

Post a Comment