Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Scoring Kinder work



How to Score Kindergarten work???


So my first year in kindergarten I would give out work, we would complete it together, and then I would put a smile, sticker, or something cute on it and send it home. Many times students would need lots of help to complete work and we would sit with them and guide them through it. I didn’t want to students to ever leave something wrong! I am a strong believer in immediate feedback. We often fixed stuff on the spot.   This is all goodBut I found a HUGE problem!  My sweet babies’ parents thought their students were always getting everything right!  Oh no!  So when I had my first conferences or would call for concerns, they were shocked.  I should have known this would happen, but it was a bit of a shock to me!  I adjusted pretty quickly and for the past four years, after helping students I have been writing with teacher’s help on the paper.  This has gotten oldmy hand is tired and sometimes it takes a while to this on each kids paper.  

                   This year I have found a new solution!  I sent a note home yesterday. If children receive a star on their paper they completed it individually with little or no help. If they have a smile, they had some help.  If they have a check, they were guided all the way through it or had to fix a large portion of it.  This is quick, easy, and simple.  We had a class discussion about it too!  Now my kids want stars and are trying their absolute best, especially on the handwritingyay!!!  We discussed that everyone needs help sometimes, even Mrs. Nelson.  So far so good!  Hopefully this new system will save some time, some hand hurting, and encourage my students to do their absolute best!!    




If you would like a copy of the note click here.  
  • This is a word doc, so you are welcome to edit it!  It is set a little low because I printed it on super cute superhero paper, so you can adjust it for your needs =).

No comments:

Post a Comment